Test Automation process leverages software’s/bots (other than the software under test) to execute repeated steps and compare outcomes that otherwise are executed manually and are often time-consuming.
To implement an effective test automation approach, a few things you should consider:
- Writing down test automation goals at an early stage can help in identifying what to and what not to automate. This helps in balancing the optimal mix of test automation investment and coverage.
- Introducing test automation too early in the SDLC may result in the rework of test automation scripts as UI changes. Similarly, introducing test automation too late can result in increased project costs due to the higher cost of fixing a bug.
- Part-time test automation, especially when the software is undergoing changes may not help in realizing over project goals.
- Test automation results should be continuously monitored and acted upon to realize a larger benefit.
- Planning early on how to integrate test automation execution results feedback into the active development process.
- As the product/AUT evolves it undergoes changes in the design test automation framework such that changes to test automation script are optimal.
Once you have prepared the checklist, you can map out an easy approach that can help you optimize your concerns and maximize the success percentage.
Test Automation Approach
- Brainstorm and agree on the test automation purpose and objectives
- Review platform/architecture of the application
- Identify and evaluate the feasibility of the tests that need to be automated
- Develop/customize automation framework based on the nature of the application functionality
Automation Test Planning
- Develop a test automation plan based on the automation framework, tests, and available skills/resources
Test Script Development and Execution
- Develop scripts iteratively throughout execution runs
- Establish test environment and test data for the application and automate test execution
- Execute test scripts, analyse tests, correct scripts, and re-execute
- Pass the feedback/defects to the development life cycle
- Document/automation capture of the defect
It is always advisable to have the test automation initiatives aligned to your product/project goals. As it acts as a tool that reduces defect leakage and shorten feedback cycles.
TestOnDemand can offer you guaranteed success with establishing the right test automation initiatives and practices for your current methods. Want to explore more on how we can help you win in your test automation initiatives, email us – firstname.lastname@example.org